Chauk Group of Monuments Dhaka
In 1809 Charles D’Oyly wrote: “The Chauk or market-place of Dhaka, is very ancient, and is situated in that quarter of the city which is now known by the name of the Old Nekaus. It was founded by Moorshed Ally Khan, and forms a square of about two hundred yards; where fruits, vegetables, trinkets, toys, sweetmeats etc. are daily exposed for sale. At sunset the inhabitants assemble here in crowds.” In 1839 Dr. Taylor noted, “It is a square of pretty large dimensions, and is surrounded chiefly by mosques and shops. The open space, in which the bazar is held, is enclosed by a low wall, with a carriage road around it, and has in its centre, a large gun, which was found some years ago on the bank of the river.”
“Moorshed Ally Khan,” mentioned by D’Oyly, is a mistake for Murshid Quli Khan, who removed the capital from Dhaka to Murshidabad. He built the Chauk in 1114 A.H. (A.D. 1702), according to an inscription. But the Chauk, described by Taylor, was the work of Mr. Walters, some time Collector of Dhaka. Even now the Chauk is a busy market place.
Chauk Mosque Churihatta Mosque Kar Talab Khan’s Mosque Mazar of Dudhu Mian Sitara Mosque Armanitola s Mosque Husaini Dalan Bara Katra Chota Katra Tomb of Bibi Champa Nawab Shaista Khan s’ Mosque Tomb and Mosque of Amiruddin Islam Khan ki Masjid Mosque in Nava Rai Lane (Islampur) The Tomb of Shah Muhammad Jamal